802.11 b/g replacement for 802.15.4 systems
The RN171XV module is a certified Wi-Fi solution especially designed for customers who want to migrate their existing 802.15.4 architecture to a standard TCP/IP based platform without having to redesign their existing hardware.
The RN171XV is available in 3 antenna options: Wire (RN171XVW-I/RM), reverse polarity SMA connector (RN171XVS-I/RM) and U.FL connector (RN171XVU-I/RM).
The RN171XV module is based upon Roving Networks' robust RN171 Wi-Fi module and incorporates 802.11 b/g radio, 32 bit processor, TCP/IP stack, real-time clock, crypto accelerator, power management unit and analog sensor interface.
The RN171XV module supports infrastructure networking for worldwide internet access directly by every node and adhoc connectivity for fully connected point to point networks, unlike many 802.15.4 implementations that need extensive, custom application profiles and additional bridging products. The RN171XV supports industrial temperature ranges, making it ideal for applications such as sensor networks, industrial or commercial controllers, utility meters, and M2M applications.
The module offers additional functionality through its on-board programmable GPIOs (8) and ADCs (3). The ADCs provide 14-bit resolution while the GPIOs can be configured to provide standard functionality or status signaling to a host microcontroller to reduce the need for serial polling between the Wi-Fi module and host microcontroller.
The module is pre-loaded with Roving firmware to simplify integration and minimize development time of your application. In the simplest configuration, the hardware only requires four connections (PWR, TX, RX and GND) to create a wireless data connection.
Developers can opt to use the RN-XV-EK1 evaluation board for prototyping and designing their Wi-Fi systems based on the RN171XV. The board connects to a PC via a standard USB cable (included in the kit), and provides 2 pushbutton switches to control WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) mode and to reset the module. The board has connectors to drop in the RN171XV, as well as headers that allow wires access to the RN171XV signals.
- Direct internet connectivity provides internet access to every node
- Point to point connectivity to every node without the need for custom profiles
- Based on common 802.15.4 footprint
- 3 Antenna options available - wire, reverse polarity SMA connector, and U.FL connector
- Ultra low power: 4µA sleep mode, 40mA active
- Onboard TCP/IP stack includes DHCP, UDP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, HTTP client, FTP client and TCP
- Firmware configurable transmit power: 0dBm to 12dBm
- Hardware interfaces: TTL UART
- Host data rate up to 464Kbps over UART
- Supports Adhoc and infrastructure networking
- 8 general purpose digital I/O
- 3 analog sensor inputs
- Real-time clock for time-stamping, auto-sleep, and auto-wakeup modes
- Accepts 3.3VDC regulated power supply
- Configuration over UART or wireless interface (via Telnet) using simple ASCII commands
- Over the air firmware upgrade (FTP)
- Secure Wi-Fi authentication: WEP, WPA-TKIP , WPA2-AES
- Industrial metering
- HVAC control
- Room temperature sensors
- Pump configuration and control
- PV / Solar controllers